Monday, May 14, 2012

Lolita (1962)

Nobody Spoil My Fun

Nobody Spoil My Fun by rachelsherman 

















          Lolita, a film based on the novel by Vladimir Nabokov of the same name. Stanley Kubrick made this film in 1962 as a comedy-drama of Humbert Humbert, a middle-aged man (played by James Mason) who lusts for a teenage girl, Dolores Haze, or otherwise known as the sexually seductive "Lolita" (played by the fourteen year-old Sue Lyon). This is one of the first films that got me into a frenzy of watching as many movies as I possibly could, and really revealed my love for the cinema. I have yet to read the novel by Nabokov, but I certainly have intended to for some time now, even though Kubrick's version of Lolita  doesn't as closely follow the storyline of the novel as the more recent verison. ( I find myself constantly busy with school, work, and sleeping whenever I find the time). I'm a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick, and I immensly enjoy all of his films.
          The film had to be wildly censored because of it's highly sexual content, and limited Kubrick's ability to make the film as he wished. However, the film was very successful, and is indeed fantastic. I really like this story, and all of the characters within it. Highly recommend this version of the film to anyone who has yet to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment