Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Spellbound

Nervous Breakdown

Nervous Breakdown by rachelsherman

(more modern fashion take on the wardrobe)












          Spellbound, the inspiration for the title of this blog, and an incredibly well-done film. Alfred Hitchcock presents us with his usual psychological mystery thriller that never seems to get old. I can't even remember how many times I have seen this film, but every time I see it, it's just as exciting and captivating as when I watched it for the fist time. The 1945 film stars the beautiful Ingrid Bergman as Dr. Constance Petersen, and Gregory Peck (who my dad actually met once, back in the day) as Dr. Anthony Edwardes / John Ballantyne (Ooo, mysterious). Anyway, I don't even want to describe the film because it's so much better when you don't know anything going into it. So, I'll spare spoiling the thrill of the film for you, and trust that you'll get your hands on this little gem and enjoy.
          The film is set in a mental hospital, so psychology concepts (highly drawn from freudian psychology) are prevalent throughout the film and very much a part of the storyline. I think this adds some appeal for me, since I'm working on my minor in psychology at the moment. The psychological thriller aspects of Hitchock's films really seem to take them to a whole new level. They are so much more effective at generating a thrill factor than our modern gory thrillers (although I do enjoy those as well, just in a different way). 
          In addition, Salvador Dalí worked on the dream sequence in one of the scenes which is just absolutely perfect. When I went to London a couple summers ago, my friend and I had the pleasure of going to a surrealist museum exhibit featuring Dalí, which was so unbelievable.

 “Our story deals with psychoanalysis, the method by which modern science treats the emotional problems of the sane. The analyst seeks only to induce the patient to talk about his hidden problems, to open the locked doors of his mind. Once the complexes that have been disturbing the patient are uncovered and interpreted, the illness and confusion disappear... and the devils of unreason are driven from the human soul.”
                                                  - Spellbound, 1945

No comments:

Post a Comment